04 November 2012

vegan pregnancy: 36 weeks

i'm still here and i'm still pregnant!  36 weeks now to be exact, and for those of you who like months that means 8.  and you know what an 8 month pregnant vegan looks like?  big.  or that's how i'm feeling at least!  the little vegan bean is still growing and taking up lots of space.  movements are changing now too, with lots of rump shifting and early morning kicks to the side.  half the time i look down and it seems like my belly is totally lopsided with babe's butt high in the air.  it's pretty cute and it's hard not to fall in love more and more everyday with this little one growing inside...


i'm still feeling wonderful but lately i'm a little more tired at the end of the day.  i really look forward to putting my feet up at the end of the day and cozying up on the couch.  part of the tiredness is coming from no longer having a full 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep {yes, i know, better get used to that!} as i have to get up once during the night to go to the bathroom, usually around 4am and i often find it a bit of a challenge falling back asleep because my mind starts to wander and think of baby things or bakeshop things.  on two occasions this week i couldn't get back to sleep for the life of me and instead was up and about, eating toast, reading, making lists, etc.  so i think i might have to soon resurect my first trimester naps...

also now that i'm 36 weeks it means visits with our midwives are going to increase to weekly, which i couldn't be happier about.  i also wanted to mention some bloodwork i've had done in the past few weeks.  i had my iron levels tested at 30 weeks to check and see where my iron levels were at.  it's very common for a pregnant mama's iron levels to drop in their second or third trimester since the total blood volume has doubled, but i always think i'm some exception to every rule, and so i was a little bummed to find out that mine had in fact dropped.  they check iron levels 2 ways: via hemoglobin in the blood {think of that as the readily accessible iron} and the "normal" range is between 120-160, and secondly via ferritin levels {the back up stores} which should be between 10-200.  my levels were at 110 and 8 respectively-- nothing to cause great concern but both just shy of "normal". 

so since then i've been taking a liquid iron supplement called floravit in addition to keeping up with my prenatal vitamins and of course getting lots of iron in through my diet.  the floravit is actually quite tasty {sweet, floral notes} and it's easily digested so i haven't noticed the same unfortunate side effects of iron pills.


and the good news is that it works!  i had bloodwork done again about a week ago and my levels have come up to a point where my midwives and i are all happy.  yippee!  they haven't jumped like crazy, {my hemoglobin is up to 113 and ferritin stores to 21} but what's important is that they haven't dropped any further and there is nothing to be concerned about.  i'm feeling very relieved about that.

oh yeah, and this: it's official -- i didn't manage to escape the curse of the swollen ankles.  oh dear lord. 

thank goodness for boot season to hide them.

16 comments:

  1. You look great! I'm 28 weeks along, and I take Floravit too. It's definitely way easier on the stomach than other iron supplements, but I don't find it tasty :P I was wondering what you rely on for dietary iron. I try to make sure to eat lentils, spinach and soybeans every day. I also read good things about blackstrap molasses, but I bought a bottle and have zero idea what to do with the stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks michelle :) good for you for getting a proactive start on the floravit, that's great! i find blackstrap is great {albeit really strong and an aquired taste} straight up off the spoon. m likes his in his coffee though. raw pumpkin seeds are another go to of mine for iron, but i'll likely write a little more up this week in another post so stay tuned...

      Delete
  2. Loving the belly AND the nursery! I hope you have before and afters of the room for me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yep, that was my subtle nursery teaser ;) still lots to do but it's coming along! i hope i have some before shots but no promises... but maybe you snapped a few when you were up last?

      Delete
  3. You look super cute! Love the colours in the nursery. Floravit did the trick for me too when I was low iron. Have a wonderful last month (or less!) of pregnancy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the update Jess. You look fantastic! I take Floravit too - especially when I'm training a lot. I'm glad it is working well for you. I hope your next four weeks are relaxing. Sending your whole family lots of love. xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you sweet lisa. i think i'm going to need to pencil in some relaxation time... i'm just so excited that i can't sit still long enough! xo

      Delete
  5. hey miss cutieee!! you look so adorable and i'm so excited for the arrival of your little one <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. eeek, i know! i can't believe how soon we're going to meet them...

      Delete
  6. These posts are so great. While I'm not planning to anytime super soon, my usual anti-baby self has had a bit of a change of heart in the last year and knowing that there are other healthy vegan moms bringing babies into this world is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks michelle, glad to hear you are enjoying these little updates :)

      Delete
  7. You look amazing and seem to be doing so well still with your pregnancy. My home birth supply kit came with a couple of samples of that liquid vitamin and I haven't tried them, but now I think I will thanks to what you had to say about it. :) I hope things continue to go smoothly for you. Not much longer... I promise the best things await you on the other side. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks mama - i'm trying to soak this lovely pregnancy all in but i'm also really looking forward to the next part too :)

      Delete
  8. Thanks for sharing! My iron levels have dropped somewhat as well (but not alarmingly so). I'm happy you posted about the supplement, since I have been meaning to get one - I will have to look for that supplement at my local health food store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. glad it helped valerie! foravit is very common at health food stores as it's been a tried and true german supplement for over 50 years. as i mentioned it's easy to digest and it doesn't have the same constipating effects that iron pills have which is another bonus.

      Delete