07 October 2012

vegan pregnancy: 32 weeks

so it seems i've been slacking on the bump updates {as i was gently reminded by a beautiful friend of mine today} - i clocked in at 32 weeks on friday.  check this growing belly out!


long long gone are the days of "hardly looking pregnant".  there is no. doubt. about. it.  {and is it just me or does my shirt have a massive bulls-eye on my belly?  the things you don't notice when getting dressed in the morning...}

i think i'm going to need to go shopping though.  so far i've just been wearing my pre-pregnancy clothes plus a couple pair of super stretchy jeans i picked up in nyc back in august, but most of my tops are starting to not cover the belly and that's not okay.  the maternity options are seriously slim where i live {one store and it's pretty lame} and i'm terrible at online shopping, especially when it comes to trying to fit a newish body shape, but in the meantime, hopefully i'm not stretching my pre-pregnancy wardrobe beyond recognition.

 
although i'm still feeling great i've noticed some things getting to be a bit more awkward, such as getting out of bed in the morning and getting up from sitting on the floor.  just takes me a minute or two longer than i remember!  i've also traded in my desk chair for my big exercise ball.  it's really great for rolling around to stay comfortable and apparently great for pregnant posture, hip opening and keeping the baby where he or she is supposed to be.

i'm not sure i mentioned it yet, but i started prenatal yoga about 6 weeks ago and i am loving it!  i had really missed a regular yoga practice since i stopped going at the start of the summer when life was getting busy and i was unsure i could keep up with the fast and intense pace of a vigorous flow class.  this yoga is more meditative and definitely specialized for a pregnant body and as in a regular practice, an incredible instructor can really make the class.  


and then aside from the actual practice to be in a room full of beautiful pregnant women is a pretty amazing thing - especially when one stops to think that there are actually twice as many of us in the room counting the wee babes too!  i feel as though this prenatal practice is helping to keep me limber as i continue to grow and that breathing through the asanas will give me something to draw on during labour.  

did you take or would you consider taking prenatal yoga?
 

24 comments:

  1. I didn't take prenatal yoga (or any birthing classes, or anything!) during my first pregnancy. If I ever get pregnant again, I'm going to take a whole new approach, and prenatal yoga will be an important part of that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could seriously benefit from some yoga myself these days...not prenatal yoga, of course, but hip opening stuff feels really great.
    Glad you are feeling well, despite moving more slowly! The foliage is beautiful. Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of a bunch of pregnant women in a room doing yoga - so sweet! Looking good, lady! That babe will be here in no time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it's going by so fast it's not even funny.
      on another note, i'm SO happy to hear that you're beginning to feel better and facing things in your own way. me & babe are both sending you loving, healing vibes. xo

      Delete
  4. You look absolutely lovely.

    I would probably definitely do something akin to prenatal yoga (if not yoga itself) when I'm pregnant. Glad it's been great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm taking prenatal yoga currently. I don't think it does much for me physically, being very slow-paced compared to what I'm used to, but I do enjoy the fellowship with other pregnant women.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the pace was definitely an adjustment for me too but i've really grown to love it for what it is, especially when i remind myself that i can get many a sweaty vinyasa practice in later, but this pregnancy only lasts as long as it lasts :)

      Delete
  6. Looking great mama! I planned to go to prenatal yoga but wasn't able to make it happen. It sounds like you are having a wonderful time with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i do love it so! i'm also planning on trying out the mamm + baby classes that my studio offers too - maybe something for you & izzy?

      Delete
  7. I love prenatal yoga!! Because of my schedule I'm only able to go once a week, but I always feel so calm and strong afterwards that I can't wait til I can go more regularly. I totally agree, having the right instructor is key.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. happy to hear you're enjoying it too michelle. my class is only offered once a week, but to attend more frequently would be such lovely treat!

      Delete
  8. You look great Jess! I did prenatal yoga..It was fun! You must be getting super excited :) Have you been drinking raspberry leaf tea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kirsten :) i've been enjoying a little raspberry leaf/nettle blend lately -- so soothing for my excited nerves!

      Delete
  9. You look lovely! If I were ever pregnant, I think I would do prenatal yoga, I'm not a big yoga person but I think it would be great for the prego body.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Girl! Look at how wonderful that belly is! I can't wait to see you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you have no idea my girl - just wait until you see it for yourself in 2 weeks! xo

      Delete
  11. You are one gorgeous pregnant lady! Your updates make me so happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. your comments make me feel the same way! xo

      Delete
  12. Aw, see? I knew you'd love the prenatal set. Awesome, right? And Jen is so embodying her full goddess power, it's hard not to be inspired by her! I teach it twice a week here in the city and it's my favorite. Love how willing the women are to really inhabit their bodies. No urgency or pushing, just being in it. You look stunning! Check out american apparel high waisted leggings and their tunic "dresses" (ha! right) as tops... I swore by them when I was preggers and can still use them now. Way cuter than old Motherhood Maternity! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know! jen is SO amazing at transferring that goddess energy too. i leave feeling so incredible every week. i'll check out american apparel when i'm down next weekend for some of those high waisted leggings.

      Delete
    2. Free shipping if you spend over $75, and with a few leggings and a tunic, that'd be the case! (Also, adorable little elasticized bottomed sleep gowns for babies, which Ozzy wore just about constantly for the first few months because it made diaper changing a non-issue! (and warm as they are long sleeved)

      Delete
  13. You look great! I love your outfit :)

    I did some prenatal yoga during my pregnancy, but I was never consistent with it...unfortunately.

    Way to go for having a vegan pregnancy! Everyone seemed to express concern when they found out I was going to remain vegan throughout my pregnancy, but I ended up having a complication free labor at full term, and a 10 lb. healthy baby at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you :)
      i'm so happy to hear you had a great vegan pregnancy experience too!

      Delete