10 April 2012

peanut butter endurance bars

i hope you all enjoyed a wonderful long weekend!  i took an extra long long-weekend because ours really required a full day's recovery.  it's become a tradition of ours to travel down to toronto every easter weekend for the exclaim cup hockey summit of the arts.  it's a weekend full of friends, music, amazing community & of course hockey - lots of hockey.  for me it's a spectator sport but a few of the gals who play for one of the teams were working on me to start up next year!

we stay right downtown which i love because it means there's lots of options for us when it comes to dining out.  sticking to two feet & a heartbeat we enjoyed a sinfully rich dinner at fressen, a bowl of pho the size of my head at loving hut, incredible papusas in kensington market and a sunday easter dinner of miso burgers at fresh.  so far from traditional easter fare, but so good.  and you'll have to take my word for it too since i didn't break out my camera outside of the rink.

i knew that eating during the day was going to be a tough go at the arena - the bar had lots of greasy fried foods but not exactly things to keep you going for hours - so i made these bars ahead of time to keep me going between breakfast & dinner.  they were so quick and easy to put together and SO very satisfying. {and filling too!}  i'm fairly certain these will be making many appearances around here.



crunchy, chewy, sweet & salty these just about cover every craving you might have!  and with all of the seeds & peanut butter, they'll keep you going when you need that boost to get you through {or when you're stuck at the hockey rink for hours on end}.

peanut butter endurance bars {gf}
makes 24 small bars or 12 large bars
5 cups crisp brown rice cereal
1/2 cup raw pumpkin seeds
1/2 cup raw sunflower seeds
2 tbsp raw sesame seeds
1/3 cup dried fruit {i used a combo of cranberries, cherries & goji berries}
1/3 cup ground flax seed
1 cup brown rice syrup
3/4 cup natural pb
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp fine sea salt {optional}

in a very large bowl, mix together the cereal, seeds, fruit and flax.  set aside.  in a small saucepan heat the brown rice syrup and peanut butter until they've melted and can be incorporated (this should only take 2-3 minutes over medium-low heat).  remove from the heat and stir in the salt & vanilla.  pour this mixture over the cereal and mix it all together, being sure to coat everything.  then, pour it all into a 9x13 baking pan that's been lined with parchment paper and press it down evenly to fill it.  pop it in the fridge to harden for 30 minutes, then cut the bars up with a sharp knife.  keep them in an airtight container either at room temperature or in the fridge.


 *for a nut-free option, try these out with sunflower seed butter! 

submitted to wellness weekends

22 comments:

  1. they are so pretty! i love the bits of seeds and fruits throughout. they definitely sound satisfying as a meal replacement for lunch.

    your long weekend sounds so fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks caitlin, i hope you enjoyed yours too!

      Delete
  2. Was just searching for a protein bar and here you are :) I can never seem to fill my man's never ending appetite but I think this might just do the trick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. would love to hear how he makes out with them lauren :)

      Delete
  3. Hi Jess, I've been reading and enjoying your blog and recipes for about a month now and figured it was time to let you know how much I enjoy both your writing and your recipes.Love the breakfast smoothie which I make pretty much every morning now ,your cupcakes are amazing and well I can pretty much go on and on about how much I love your recipes.I too live in Sudbury and go to Toronto just about every month as our son and daughter-in-law lives there.Have you gone to Hogtown Vegan yet?It's on Bloor street just west of Christie Pits.Amazing vegan diner food ,it's one of the places we go to everytime we are in T.O.Try their brunch on the weekends ,probably the best breakfast I've ever had anywhere.And now since I have all the ingredients for the peanut butter endurance bars ,I'm off to the kitchen to whip up a batch.
    Thanks for writing such a great vegan food blog!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you SO much mary, you just warmed my heart with your kind words. i've yet to make it to hogtown vegan, but i told M it was on our hitlist for next time as you're not the first person to tell me how awesome it is.

      and another sudbury gal too! how wonderful! you should come out next tuesday to the northern vegetarian society's monthly potluck and say hello over a shared vegan meal - i'm just about to create the facebook invite for it so will be sure to share it on the blog too.

      xo

      Delete
  4. Oooh, these look fabulous! I've been relying too much on Clif bars lately, and these look MUCH better. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. these aren't quite as sweet as the cliff bars tend to be, but for me they were perfect :) and as an added bonus they didn't make be bloat up like a balloon and have me doubled over in pain as cliff bars have a tendency to do to me.

      Delete
  5. I'm glad you had a wonderful weekend in the city! Next time you're down we'll have to meet up for brunch. There are so many fun new spots to try out.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! i was actually going to give you a shout but with all of the comings and goings to and from the arena i didn't end up having much free time - next time, i will make it happen!

      Delete
  6. I love bars like this. Yours look so cheery and perfect! The sunflower seed sub sounds delicious. Actually, I bet there are a lot of easy subs to make this really versatile.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, i love the endless possibilities!

      Delete
  7. These are BEAUTIFUL and sound Yummy, definitely gonna make them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love bars and snacks like this, too. There can never be too many seeds in them. Glad to hear you enjoyed your weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Eva @VeguactingMyKidsApril 16, 2012 at 9:27 PM

    Made these bars today!! So simple! Did not get brown rice puff cereal but plain--did use brown rice syrup though--worked great as an alternative to corn syrup which I don't use....my girls have been asking me for rice crispie treats but the traditional ones don't fall into my eating style....so these are perfect for my girls and they were so happy....I put double the pumpkin seeds & sunflower seeds because my girls are so active they need more protein in their after school snacks...this recipe goes into the permanent file...thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. huzzah! kiddy approved!
      thanks for your feedback eva :)

      Delete
  10. We leave in about a week for Montreal. I am going to make these for the 14 hour car ride, don't think they will last more than a hour.hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been looking for a good homemade protein bar recipe to use during hikes and I think this is it! Thanks for sharing, I can't wait to try them!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yum, so pretty and they look like they taste incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These bars are delish! I have been making them for months and even my kids love them (2 and 3 years old).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for sharing this samantha - i love hearing about successes with the little ones! :)

      Delete