08 March 2012

vegan in sevilla part 1


honey, i'm home!!  wow, what a wonderful trip to spain... we had the most amazing little trip, and i am now back at home, my itchy feet sated for a little while.  this morning i've been pouring over our photos and sipping on a massive green smoothie.  and can i just say, wow, did i ever miss my morning smoothies while away.  there is nothing quite like starting the day with a cup full of fresh fruits & veggies.

so let's get right to it!  i thought i'd break my trip down into posts based on the cities we visited, starting with Sevilla!

seville was awesome.  as you can see from the big goofy grin on my face, i was so happy to be in spain on our first morning.  we took no time at all adjusting to spanish time {late morning starts, late lunches and very late dinners} and we took to the streets by mid-morning to begin wandering aimlessly - my favourite way to explore a city.  sticking to the old center we poked around through narrow streets, parks and big open plazas, stopping along the way to sit down and take it all in.







catching my eye right away were the orange trees.  they were everywhere!  lining streets, providing shade over park benches, scattered through courtyards... i honestly don't know that i saw any other type of tree in seville, and as you can imagine, the sent was incredible.  


i couldn't believe how covered in fruit they all were too, all i could think was, why are people not picking them bare to take in their sweet aromas and flavours?!  not wanting to break any unwritten rules, i was very timid to pick any for myself, but i eventually did work up the nerve to climb up and pluck one. 


i think i may have zoned out in la la land taking in the smell...  when i couldn't stand it any longer, i took so much time and care to peel my prize, and separated out that first segment of juicy deliciousness.  i popped in in my mouth, ready to submit to it's sweetness...

and nearly choked!  it was the most sour & bitter citrus i've ever tasted!!  apparently i was clueless to the fact that seville oranges are not for eating, they're for marmalade!!  no wonder the trees were full of fruit.  thankfully these photos only bring back the sweet, orange scent...


after that experience, i was eager to wash away the bitter taste with a drink.  we came upon a huge plaza that was full of people enjoying the sun.  we joined them too and i bought us a couple cañas {small draft beers} which we wandered in the square with.  so many sights, sounds and energy in that plaza.  we even got to take in an impromptu flamenco performance - and all this on a monday afternoon!  mmmm, love that spanish frame of mind!


then it was time to try the tapas.  spain is famous for it's tapas - small dishes that are served along with drinks throughout the afternoon, evenings and into the night.  we did our very best to eat our way around the tapas menus, but to be honest, it wasn't easy.  although there were always several vegetarian options, most had cream or cheese or were egg-based.  one that was always a safe bet though were the patatas bravas, potatoes served with spicy sauce.  we tried these at a few places and found that everyone does there potatoes differently - we were served everything from potatoe wedges to baked potatoes to french fries all with the bravas sauce, which was really nothing more than a somewhat spicy ketchup.  the best patatas though were the patatas verde we found one night, new potatoes drenched in a garlicky green sauce of olive oil and fresh herbs.  deliciousness.


a girl cannot survive on potatoes alone, so we hunted down a tapas bar called huelva ocho which had some veggie options on their menu.  hummus & grilled vegetables were a welcomed yummy break from all the tubers, accompanied of course by a big glass of the local red wine!  actually, i think there were probably several glasses of the vino tinto...


mmm, don't you love flipping through photos after a trip?  i think that's enough for today though - tomorrow i'll tell you all about my 3-day hunt for vegan baking in seville!

22 comments:

  1. ahh- i just love pictures of europe. everything is just so beautiful! i can't wait for most posts!

    when i was in greece, there were tons of lemon trees. i never picked one, though ;) you little rebel!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. haha, yes, i was quite daring! ;) actually i don't think anyone would have even batted an eye - the fallen fruits were littering the streets & filling the gutters. little kids would actually kick oranges along as kids here would do with a stone!

      Delete
  2. Looks so romantic and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like you an an amazing trip! I look forward to seeing more photos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your pictures make me SUPER excited for my trip to Spain in May!!! I too was super stoked to pick fruit from the trees...darn:/ Hope you picked up some yummy marmalade on your adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we ate some along the way but in the end forgot to bring any home!
      you are in for such a treat in may with your family kirsten!

      Delete
  5. I noticed that you are wearing a jacket? Was it chilly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it was cool in the mornings and evenings, but the afternoons warmed up to about 21. it's still 'winter' there though, so this was normal for the time of year. i imagine you'll have even more gorgeous weather when you're there!

      Delete
  6. Oh Jess this post warmed my heart! You look so beautiful and happy, I'm glad you had an amazing trip.

    I went to Seville in 2004, it was the first time I ever travelled alone and I fell in love with Spain. I can recognize so many buildings from you photos! So glad you were taken with the orange trees too, they were my favourite part of the trip. It sounds silly but I was so mesmorized by the oranges and lemons growing on trees, I had only ever seen apples and cherries grown on trees, there was something about citrus growing that was just so cool.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh, thank you dani, you're so sweet!
      yes, i was SO taken with the citrus trees - that pop of bright, round oranges everywhere had such a magical, almost dr. seuss-like impression on me!

      Delete
  7. I can't wait to hear more about your trip around beautiful Spain. Isn't travel marvelous? I completely understand your impulse to try fruit right off of the tree. I had a similar experience in Assisi a few years ago. I couldn't help myself from tasting an olive right off of the branch. Won't repeat that again! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hahaha, i did EXACTLY the same thing when i was in sicily on my honeymoon - was so excited to be surrounded by an olive grove and plucked one. wow - not what i was expecting!

      Delete
  8. I can't wait to come over and try a little something something fro your kitchen:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Seville was my favourite of all the places we visited when I traveled to Spain in 2006. I, too, adored the orange trees and wondered why people weren't eating them all up! Now I know... I didn't have the guts to attempt to pick any myself! We went the week after Christmas, and that large plaza was filled with a skating rink! I will always remember buying roasted chestnuts from a vendor in the plaza... yumm. Thanks for the photos!

    Jocelyne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. wow, a skating rink?! that would have been a place for a pretty magical nighttime patine. and roasted chestnuts too? so romantic!

      Delete
  10. I would have loved flipping through the photo book even more so if I went along :) WELCOME BACK!!! Man, it looks like you had such a lovely time--except for the choking part :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! travels are wonderful but i also love the comforts of home :)

      Delete
  11. Sevilla looks like such a gorgeous city. Travelling to Spain in such months as November, January, February or early March is probably the best thing one can do. I miss all that sun so much!
    Sorry about that orange. I had no idea there were special oranges for marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. okay, glad i'm not the only one who didn't know about seville organges - makes me feel not quite so clueless :) when i started recounting the story to my mom she interrupted me to say, 'wait - you didn't eat one did you?! seville oranges are just for confitures!'

      Delete
  12. Such a bummer about the orange! What a funny story, though. At least you realized why no one was eating them, and the reason wasn't that it was illegal...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yeah, it has made for a great story! m actually captured a photo of me with that first bite in my mouth but it was such a blurry, extreme close-up i didn't post it. hahaha, you can imagine the ridiculous face i was making though...

      Delete