12 January 2012

good morning lemon scones

these are based on the scones my mom makes for christmas breakfast.  the original recipe was passed to her from mrs. mcqueen, the mother of one of my parents' good friends.  hers are quite different in that they're not vegan, full of raisins and don't call for lemon.  but, since right now i have an over-abundance of lemons i changed things up a bit. 

{scones + confiture}

these scones ended up having a light lemony flavour and crumble just the way a scone should {in my books at least}.  once you break through the lovely crust, the inside is moist and tender.  they're scrumptious on their own {especially warm from the oven with a cup of tea} but they're also wonderful spread with your favourite jam.  i paired mine with a raspberry lime rickey confiture that we were gifted for christmas.  don't you just love foodie gifts?

{good morning}

{lemon scones}

what you see here is only half of the original recipe because the last thing i need around here is 2 dozen delicious scones calling out to be eaten, so feel free to double if you're entertaining or if you'd like to freeze them {they do freeze well}.   

also, i was out of my gluten-free flour blend when i made these, so if any of you awesome gf readers adapt these, i'd love to hear how they turn out! 

good morning lemon scones
makes 10-12 
1.5 cups all purpose organic flour
1.5 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 oz vegan shortening
1 flax egg {1 tbsp ground flaxmeal + 3 tbsp hot water: mix & wait 5 minutes}
zest of 1 lemon
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
scant* 1/2 cup almond milk

*all told you want a 1/2 cup of liquid, so add your lemon juice to a measuring cup and then top it up to 1/2 cup with the almond milk.

preheat your oven to 400f.  in a large bowl, mix together the dry ingredients.  using a pastry cutter {or if you don't have one, you can use 2 forks like i did} cut in the shortening.  add in the flax egg and mix lightly, followed by the zest and milk/lemon juice mixture.  mix until the dry ingredients are just incorporated - don't overmix it!

the dough will be very wet and sticky.  flour your hands & working surface {board or counter} well and gently form the dough into a round and pat it down to about 3/4" in thickness.  using a well-floured biscuit or cookie cutter {i used one 2" in diameter} cut out scones one at a time and place them onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.  form together the scraps, pat out again and cut out more scones until you've used all of the dough.  alternatively, you can also form your scones by cutting them with a well-floured knife as i did with these ones.  bake for 9-12 minutes et voila! 






good morning, lemony scones!  breakfast is served. 


16 comments:

  1. Foodie gifts ARE the best! These are lovely, Jess. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A hint of lemon is so refreshing in baked goods. I feel like it really lightens them up a bit. Particularly in the breakfast genre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum. I love scones and haven't had them in a long time. Perfect with tea and jam :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmm I've been craving lemon a lot lately. These scones would be perfect with some blackberry or raspberry jam <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooh I love, love scones. Lemon ones must be so great in the morning as a wake me up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yeah, you better believe that I am going to de-glutenize these!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. you're very welcome kris :)

    yes, i love how the lemon flavour instantly lightens kaitlyn!

    nikki i think it sounds like you've found your weekend brunch :)

    char they were perfect with raspberry, but blackberry would have been even better i think!

    they are maud - you should try them once your raw cleansing is complete! how much longer do you have anyways?

    cara, i was hoping you'd come through! although maybe i should be trying to gf-them myself for a certain guest post i have in the future...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oooooh, okay! I will leave these untouched and allow you to have a gluten-free hay day with them :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yumm i want to try these!! the last scones i tried of yours (pumpkin) were so good. :) i love the name too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thinκ thіs is аmοng the mοst signіficant infοrmation for mе.

    Αnd i'm glad reading your article. But should remark on few general things, The web site style is perfect, the articles is really nice : D. Good job, cheers

    My weblog: related web page

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's amazing in favor of me to have a web site, which is helpful designed for my know-how. thanks admin

    Look into my web blog: related web site

    ReplyDelete
  12. My programmer is trying to convince me to move to .

    net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because
    of the costs. But he's tryiong none the less. I've been using WordPress on numerous websites for about a year and am worried about switching to
    another platform. I have heard very good things about blogengine.
    net. Is there a way I can transfer all my wordpress posts into
    it? Any help would be really appreciated!

    Also visit my blog post ... where to find a boyfriend

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very good website уou haνe hеге but I waѕ wonԁеring if yοu kneω of аny uѕer discussion forums
    that cover the same tоpiсs ԁiscussed here?
    I'd really love to be a part of group where I can get feedback from other experienced individuals that share the same interest. If you have any recommendations, please let me know. Thank you!

    Feel free to visit my site: stock options training

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am гegulaг visitοr, hоw are you everуbodу?
    This аrticle poѕteԁ at this web pаgе is rеally gooԁ.


    My blog pοst: easterseals.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's a pity you don't have a donate button! I'd without a doubt donate to this brilliant blog! I guess for now i'll settle for bookmarking and adding your RSS feed to my Google account.
    I look forward to fresh updates and will share this blog with my Facebook group.
    Chat soon!

    Feel free to visit my web-site :: similar internet site

    ReplyDelete